4.06.2009

EASTER...

My pal Katie and I have often contemplated how we can make a bigger deal out of Easter... as far as holidays go it seems it gets less attention than Halloween these days. And Christmas blows it out of the water!! Don't get me wrong, it's great that we celebrate Christ's arrival on this earth as a human baby but that's only just the BEGINNING of our celebration - the climax for us should really be this coming Sunday.


In an effort to make good with the time I've been given (thanks to inspiration from my pal Anne) I started downloading some sermons to replace my addiction to NPR, and hopefully create a craving in my heart for some godly things... anywho - I came across a series from Mark Dever entitled "Pierced for our Transgressions." He started in on Christmas 07 and went until Easter of 08 - so cool huh? (If only I would have know I would have been doing one each day leading up to Easter - I'm like 3 behind right now). He even preaches on a passage in Leviticus - yes you heard it a "Easter" message from Leviticus!! It's been so refreshing and extremely humbling - or at least making me realize how much more humble I should be. Perhaps these messages will help you as you prepare your heart for this Sunday - check them out here. (The first one is Pass Over, Exodus 12).


My mom always made holidays something to look forward to when we were growing up. And she still does special little things for us now that I look forward to even though I'm 'all grown up' (love those x-mas socks mom!!) Each Easter we had a basket filled with yummy goodies, a useful clothing item or just some fun toy she thought we'd enjoy. My FAVORITE still to this day the egg carton gum!!! I'm SOOOOO excited to fill Jude's first Easter basket and begin one of many traditions I hope to carry on with our family. (Another one of which I hope to try are those Resurrection eggs... but I think we'll wait for some more intellect to develop before we attempt them)! So here's the wish list for this year's basket:

1. Bubbles to blow in the bathtub - bath time is our favorite time of day!!

2. A book fun book to read like "Rainbow Bob"

3. Seeds of Faith cd. I just stumbled across this sweet group they put scripture to music - much cooler than Steve Green - no offence!! They have adults and kids singing together and use the NIV. Each of their albums deals with a theme, for example Seeds of Faith is all verses relating to salvation, and comes with 2 cd's!! One for you to sing with and one for you to share with another family. Here is their website or you can take a listen here.

If you've got any other Easter celebration ideas I'm all ears!!


Here's another snapshot of the little man - we're lovin' him more each day!!


3 comments:

jeileenbaylor said...

Those are some great ideas. I completely agree about making Easter a bigger deal. When we are about 9 or 10 my mom and dad would give each of us kids a few Easter passages to read and would encourage us to find a quiet place alone (usually outside) to read and meditate on the resurrection - after sunday morning church. Then we would come back together as a family - talk about it and pray/praise the Lord together Those are precious memories to me.
p.s. Jude is soo handsome :0)

LMLogan said...

great ideas!! I'll have to check out those cd's! jude is so adorable!! looks so much like you! :)

stacie said...

Jess!! I didn't even see this post!!! :) Great news! I'm going to have to check out those sermon series too. And we need to chat about when we want to get those cds. I think I'm going to start updating my blog again! Love you oodles!